Welcome to Lunacy Now, an online lifestyle community for restless dreamers. We focus on the social impact of emerging technologies, specifically how individuals can adapt and thrive in this fast changing world. Our proposals are exploratory rather than prescriptive as of course, your mileage may vary.
If you’re new to the site:
Framing our writings is the premise that Western Civilization as traditionally understood is dying/dead, but something else is emerging in its place. We call this cultural phase the “Byzantine Transition,” in a reference to the direction taken by the eastern half of the Roman Empire that survived on its own in a revised form for several hundred years after the collapse of the west.
We see this transition as morally neutral. This outlook means we stand beyond left and right in as a site interested in building the next stage of human development rather than either in fighting a desperate rearguard action to preserve a world that’s already gone (like much of the right) or in tearing down a system whose foundations have long since been demolished (like much of the left).
We’re asking three main questions:
- What from our past is worth keeping?
- What should we throw away?
- What should we do next?
In all this we focus on the individual, not larger political groups. A large number of empowered individuals taking control of their lives makes a stronger group.
- Delights in the benefits of modernity, but wants to ameliorate the ways it can be alienating, clinical and utilitarian.
- Anticipates the coming wave which will transform everything (climate change, robotics, AI etc) and wants to explore novel solutions for how people might respond.
- Embraces the promise of the future, without discarding the cherished heritage of our past.
Want to know more about the vision of Lunacy Now? Meet Bearie, our mentor and spiritual advisor.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing
and rightdoing there is a field.
I’ll meet you there.
When the soul lies down in that grass
the world is too full to talk about.